The History Of Yakuza

We take a look at the over 10 year history of Sega’s Yakuza series in honor of the release of Yakuza 6: The Song of Life for the PS4. The final game for series protagonist Kazuma Kiryu.

Check out The History of Games Season 1!

Subscribe to GameSpot! http://youtube.com/GameSpot?sub_confirmation=1

Visit all of our channels:
Features & Reviews – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpot
Video Game Trailers – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpotTrailers
Movies, TV, & Comics – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpotUniverse
Gameplay & Guides – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpotGameplay
Mobile Gaming – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpotMobile

Like – http://www.facebook.com/GameSpot
Follow – http://www.twitter.com/GameSpot

source

39 thoughts on “The History Of Yakuza

• February 11, 2018 at 11:45 am

Awesome video if I could play all 6 games on the PS4 that'd be ideal please Sega 🙂

• February 11, 2018 at 11:51 am

This video is the best"history of" Video I've ever seen. It's flawless

• February 11, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Bom video AMEI, estou com um canal legendando TODA FRANQUIA, já que não saiu para Português Brasil, tomei como minha essa tarefa, quem tiver interesse faça-nos uma visita ! Todo apoio é bem vindo

• February 11, 2018 at 1:06 pm

I really wish those samurai yakuza games gets released even with just english subs

• February 11, 2018 at 1:28 pm

Sometimes, breaking from an old tradition is the way to go.
    Who would have thought memes and gifs would sell so many Yakuza games.

• February 11, 2018 at 3:49 pm

I've only finished 1 and 2, but now I want to play all of them. Great video

• February 11, 2018 at 5:23 pm

How can they make so many games in such a short time?

• February 11, 2018 at 5:44 pm

Even though the Haruka relationship system has been around since the very 1st game in the series

• February 11, 2018 at 11:37 pm

What's your favorite Yakuza game in the series?

• February 12, 2018 at 12:33 am

you guys missed Binary Domain, it's a third person shooter made by the Yakuza team using the Yakuza 3 game engine. it had issues, but it was a fantastic game with a lot of great ideas.

• February 12, 2018 at 12:41 am

That's an incredible video. You were capable of getting the important values Ryu Ga Gotoku series has and make them shine. This series deserve so much compared to what it gets in the West. If this is your way of reviewing a series and understanding it, I guess I got a new videogame site I can trust. Kudos. Really.

• February 12, 2018 at 12:48 am

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. As someone who's followed the series even before Ryu Ga Gotoku made it to the West, writing this script was a labor of love. All the video editing credit goes to Jean Luc (though Ben Jenca and I helped supply some of the footage).

I said during our Yakuza 6 livestream last week (which you can re-watch at GameSpot) that that the sign of a great game series is the kind where different fans love different installments. I think Yakuza counts as such a series. As a child of the 1980s, I'm partial to Yakuza 0 for its setting. And while I'm not GameSpot's reviewer for Yakuza 6, I can't wait for all of you to check it out. It's a very special sequel.

I'm looking forward to working with Jean Luc on more History Of video features in the future. Thanks again for the comments. We really appreciate it.

• February 12, 2018 at 12:57 am

At drop wash mnvrbg double administrative realize lock terrorism spin.

• February 12, 2018 at 4:08 am

The best series ever. It's very nice to finally see it getting the credit it deserves in the west!

• February 12, 2018 at 5:48 am

PC VERSION SEGA NOW !!! im sorry but this version is unacceptable with its 900p and 25 fps and other people would get there hands on this game and it would be more popular and then SEGA would finally see there own potencial and release yakuza 6 simultanieouely worldwide with an english dub at least

• February 12, 2018 at 9:10 am

Please Upload A History Video Every 2 Weeks I Love This Series And I Want To Know More About What I Play.

• February 12, 2018 at 9:22 am

Yakuza Zero was my first Yakuza game and a surprising personal GOTY. The game was so memorable and fun! Can't wait for the new remastered games!

• February 12, 2018 at 12:59 pm

This was bloody great. One of the best videos you guys have done.

• February 12, 2018 at 2:13 pm

Yakuza 0 was the most fun I had playing in 2017 and even though I'll be getting God of War, I will be buying Yakuza 6 first! Great documentary and good wrap up to catch us up to speed with the franchise.

• February 12, 2018 at 7:54 pm

this video made me want to follow the whole game series

• February 13, 2018 at 2:36 am

it dos seem to me the game was easyier on the ps2 unles am getting too old now lol

• February 13, 2018 at 2:47 am

so cant wait to knock out a tiger in 1080p or 4k what ever it will come in

• February 13, 2018 at 7:03 am

You western virgins will not like the way Y6 "ends" Kazuma's story.

Also, the amount of content that has been "cut" for Y6 will shock a lot of you – especially if you came from Y0.

• February 13, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Really enjoyed this retrospective.

As a newcomer myself, I guess I'll need to get started shortly.

• February 13, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Prepare for the remake sequel. It's gonna be the best remake yet.

• February 13, 2018 at 2:42 pm

I first encountered the series about 2 years ago when Yakuza 5 went on sale on PSN. I figured what the hell, it looks interesting.

Since then it's easily become my favorite series. I've even imported some of the untranslated games from Japan.

Comments are closed.